Thursday, May 3, 2012

Cricket, IPL and other things that irritate me


I love to hit below the belt, sometimes even worse. My friends know it well. Well, I grew up with cricket (read Sachin Tendulkar M.P.), bollywood (read Srk) and Raj Comics (for the Harry f*****g Potter fans, Raj Comics gets published from Burari, New Delhi and is a mega source of entertainment for average indian kids growing up with things similar to the ones I grew up with). So, now its clear what I didn't grow up with. Just to make it a little more clear, I didn't grow up with Tom Cruise, Clint Eastwood, Mr. Archer, Mr. Potter, Mr. Foot-suck-ball. I am sorry! As I said, I love hitting there, where it hurts the most. Moving on, today, I simply feel like talking a bit of cricket as it has given a nation like us its rare moments of modern sporting glory. 

What eventually attacted me towards cricket is the very way how the game is played in this part of the country. We don't play cricket as a team game. And to be honest I don't feel it is a team game in true senses. I mean, I have always loved  brilliant individual performances. Who wouldn't like to see a fired up Wasim Akram cleaning up sides with a ball that swung like a BANANA ;) or for that matter a Kirti Azad single handedly winning a match with his bat, or a sedate Kumble taking all 10 wickets? See, even in a successful movie, there are important side actors who complete it. Similar in cricket. You need to have an individual who leads the show and there would be "Soorma Bhopalis" to make another "Sholay"..

In the backdrop of all this, I couldn't help writing about IPL 5 which happens to be my staple time pass like all those previous years. And despite around 30 matches getting to the last over, there have been things which make this IPL irritating though not boring. 

I love to finger the native DADA fans. I am sorry guys but most of you have been pretty unsporting all through the IPL except a few. Agreed he is a legend, arguably the greatest (and definitely the most and first male [read mard])captain of India but like Dhooper puts in his signature, every dog has its day(s) and trust me folks his days are over. Dada himself knows this. If he didn't he would still be playing for team India. He should rather take a mentor role like Chacha Kumble or shrewd Fleming. But I don't mean to say by any means that Dada is one of the reasons why this IPL has been irritating. It's just his FANS.

Of the other things which are an equally big turn off, is the show which comes before and after the matches. Yes Extra Innings it seems has extra dots for extra pleasure. Pleasure for them, pain for me. After all, I can only speak for myself. Gaurav Kapur, dude I like you. I love the way you are fit despite the diabetes you have. But I hate the way, you host the show. And Sameer Kochar, you look good playing second fiddle to Emran Hashmi, where he gets all the kisses and you get the kicks! And the two girls (One of them I hear is sister of some MTV VJ), why don't you join some aerobic classes and help the cheerleaders. We need indian beauties there. At least, I won't have to bear dialogues like these every day:

1. It's all happening here in the Wankhede.
2. The atmosphere looks electric. (Really Bitch!)
3. I have with me the very pretty Preity Zinta.
4. This is your nth loss on a trot. So how is the mood in the camp? (Isn't it obvious, we are scewed)
5. Isn't it thrilling to see Luke Wright hitting those sixes of Tennis balls? (No it's not!)
6. How does it feel to be sharing the same dressing with Sachin/Ganguly/Viru/Dhoni/Some other son of a bitch, who cares?

So, please spare me Extra Innings' horror and give me Harsha Bhogle in that chair. Of course, you can use the clowns as you may wish at other places!

As I write this, I see Sachin once again proving that Dinda is an ordinary bowler. Reminds me of Pranay Jha's status update on Dinda. That brings a wry smile on my face. By the way, Pranay was my senior at XL from the BM batch. 

Back to live action, as MI are on their way now, I better get to the TV. Yes, Nehra is bowling. Shall write more during "Extra Innings" ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment